CBD pet treats are another trending topic in the hemp industry. CBD has many great benefits for dogs and cats, but sometimes, giving CBD oil to your pet is anything but easy.
The way how full-spectrum hemp CBD products are made results in extracts that have a very distinctive, earthy taste. Even some people have problems dealing with the natural flavor of CBD oil.
And as we all know, pets can be extremely fussy about anything you try to feed them with.
Is your pup throwing daggers at CBD oil?
Stay calm, not everything is lost!
This is where CBD pet treats come into play.
In this guide, we’ll cover:
- The benefits of CBD for pets
- How CBD pet treats are made
- How to make DIY CBD pet treats
- How to calculate the dosage in hemp CBD products for pets
- Potential concerns about hemp CBD pet treats
CBD Pet Treats: the Benefits of CBD for Our Small Friends
All vertebrae mammals have an endocannabinoid system (ECS), a complex neurochemical network many scientists believe to be the most important system in our bodies.
The ECS regulates the majority of biological processes, including:
- Cognitive function
- Immune response
- Stress management
- Pain transmission
- Emotion processing
- Blood pressure regulation
- Blood sugar balance
- Sleep-wake cycle
Research shows that CBD for pets can help in the same areas as CBD for humans, including:
- Inflammatory pain
- Digestive issues
- Compromised joint mobility
- Neurological issues
CBD is also a potent antioxidant, detoxifying agent, and neuroprotectant that helps regenerate the body and prevents the growth of malignant cells.
CBD Pet Treats vs Oil: Choose the Best form of CBD for Your Pet
As we said, natural CBD oil doesn’t have the best taste out there, to say the least.
That’s why many CBD users choose to supplement themselves with tastier forms, such as CBD dummies.
When it comes to CBD for pets, treats are the name of the game.
CBD pet treats are just pet edibles containing a fixed amount of CBD per piece. Sometimes, they’re the last resort to convince your four-legged friend to take CBD.
How Hemp CBD Products Are Made: CBD Pet Treats
CBD pet treats are made similar to regular baked goods for pets. Since dogs and cats are carnivores by nature — they have a limited ability to digest carbohydrates — you should only give them CBD treats once in a while. That’s because the majority of those products are made with wheats.
Commercial CBD pet treats are made similarly to the homemade ones. However, they’re manufactured on a larger scale and use designated machinery to provide the same concentration of CBD in each piece. These treats are then molded into different shapes.
The dosage consistency is a significant advantage of buying ready-made CBD pet treats. However, there are also some concerns around this form of CBD.
Potential Concerns About Hemp CBD Pet Treats
- Inferior bioavailability: oral CBD products have the lowest bioavailability of all forms of consumption. That means your pet won’t be absorbing the CBD well unless the treats have been made at lower temperatures.
- Wheats and other plant-based carbs: as we said, dogs and cats are carnivores by nature, so they don’t handle plant-based food very well. If your pet eats too many carbohydrates from veggies on a regular basis, it can lead to malnourishment and development of serious health problems. Unfortunately, most CBD pet treats are made with wheat so they’re more affordable.
- Additives: CBD pet treats can be infused with natural or artificial flavorings. While those made with artificial flavors are less expensive, we recommend choosing the natural ones; they are better for your pet’s digestion.
Homemade CBD Pet Treats: Your Recipe for Pet-friendly Hemp Products
If you want to take care of your pet’s CBD and nutrition by yourself, here’s one of our favorite recipes to make CBD pet treats at home:
- 1/3 cup CBD coconut oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 sweet potato (medium-sized)
- 1/4 cup gelatin powder
- 1 can drained tuna / chicken or beef (if your pet doesn’t like fish)
- Preheat the oven to 250 Fahrenheit degrees
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl, mashing them with a fork until evenly incorporated into the mixture.
- If your dough feels too sticky, add a little bit more coconut flour
- Form the dough into 1-inch balls and squeeze them down using a fork so they become more flat.
- Bake your CBD pet treats in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Take the treats out of the oven and allow them to cool completely in room temperature
- Store your CBD pet treats in the fridge for a few weeks. For long-term storage (up to a few months), keep them in the freezer.
Where to Buy Hemp CBD Pet Treats
CBD pet treats aren’t that popular in local stores, but you can easily find them online. At CBDSKY.com, we offer CBD biscuits for dogs and cats, each containing 5 mg CBD — with a total content of 150 mg (30 count). But most importantly, our products are completely wheat-free.
We’re aware that CBD pet treats shouldn’t be the core of your pet’s nutrition; always use them in moderation, and if your pet actually likes the taste of natural CBD oil, we recommend sticking to this form of consumption.
Once again, remember that CBD pet treats contain carbs from vegetables, so if you have a dog or cat, it’s even more important to dose them with caution.
How Much CBD Should I Give My Pet?
We can’t give you a straight answer to that, as the optimal CBD dosage for your pet will depend on a few factors, such as:
- Symptom severity
- Desired effects
- Drug interactions
The CBD SKY pet treats are made with 5 mg hemp-derived CBD per count. With small increments like this, you can gradually test the dosage with your pet until you find the sweet spot.
Needless to say, dosing CBD to your pet may take some trial and error, but experts recommend staring out with 0.5 mg – 5 mg of CBD per 10 pounds of your pet’s weight.
Monitor the effects over one week, and if you don’t see any positive changes in your pet’s health, you can increase the dosage and reassess the effects again after another week.
Final Thoughts on Hemp CBD Pet Treats & How They’re Made
CBD pet treats are great if your furry friend dislikes the taste of natural CBD hemp oil. They’re not only tasty but also easier to dose than traditional oil drops.
Just make sure CBD pet treats aren’t your dog’s or cat’s main source of nutrition; you don’t want to act against their nature. Before supplementing your pet with hemp CBD products, you need to take care of its nutrition and ensure there are no deficiencies in their diet.
Finally, always choose treats that contain no wheat. Wheats are the worst that can happen to your pet’s gut and can seriously compromise its health. The CBD SKY pet treats are made with low-IG carbs that your buddy can take once in a while without concerns.
Do you give CBD treats to your pets? What are their favorite flavors? Share your stories in the comment and pass this post to your friends on your social media if you liked it!